Friday, September 17, 2010

Display resolution of LCD monitors.

An interesting fact: LCD monitors are designed with a single resolution only. This resolution is known as the native resolution of the monitor. To get the best display, its always best to use the native resolution. If one lower's the display resolution, the monitor must use interpolation to fill in the extra pixels. This leads to blurriness in LCD displays.

In trade shows I usually had to connect my laptop to an external LCD monitor. In cloned display mode, both my laptop's built-in monitor and the external LCD monitor would use the same display resolution, which would typically be much lower than the full resolution of the external monitor. I always used to wonder at this and fixed the problem by going for the external monitor only display option and then setting the resolution to the highest possible resolution of the LCD monitor. Now I understand the logic behind this.

No comments: